1. Consider . What is the volume of the region (1) The first thing we do: consider the rectangle and form a partition of into segments and into segments. This gives us a mesh of rectangles as specified by the … Continue reading
1. So, last time we considered finding extrema for some function , but what if we constrain our focus to some surface ? For example, the unit circle would have (1) How do we find extrema for on the unit … Continue reading
1. Remember for a curve , we have maxima and minima occur whenever (1) What’s the multivariable analog to this notion?
1. Suppose we have a scalar function of several variables (1) Let be some unit vector. How does change in the direction? We can consider this quantity as a function (2) What does this look like?
1. Problem. Consider a function where we parametrize (1) If , how does change? We will need to use partial derivatives and Taylor expansion…
1. Curves. We are interested in describing the motion of my car. Well, everyone is interested in the motion of my car. How can we describe it mathematically? First we approximate the car as a point. The point-like car moves … Continue reading
1. We considered differentiating and integrating functions of a single-variable. How? We began with the notion of a limit, and then considered the derivative. If we have a, e.g., polynomial (1) we see (2) Again we stop and reflect: this … Continue reading